Login    Register       FAQ       Search  

Post subject: Converge 560 Ceiling Mounted Microphones
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:57 pm 

I currently have a Converge 560 in a conference room, but have been asked to move it to another room that would require ceiling mounted microphones. Could you recommend a solution/product?

Post subject: Re: Converge 560 Ceiling Mounted Microphones
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:50 pm 

[quote="rhuerta"]I currently have a Converge 560 in a conference room, but have been asked to move it to another room that would require ceiling mounted microphones. Could you recommend a solution/product?[/quote]

Thier are a variety of ceiling button mics. For obvious reasons the results can be mixed.
The speaker has been 15db or so higher than the audio that comes out of the ceiling speakers
for the mics to gate on. I have done it but I hate it. I don't know how well the 560 would work
if the room is large, it doesn't have enough inputs. Using an external automixer is a bad idea
balancing out the different mics and still accomplish gating could be a nightmare.
I have used the Shure MX395 boundary.
AKG has hanging mics HM1000 they can be dropped below the tile and even aimed.
I would switch to Converge Pro in any case.

Post subject: Re: Converge 560 Ceiling Mounted Microphones
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:10 am 

Hi rhu,

It is usually best to start with a requirement and then specify the mic. We do have a few nifty calculators on our web-page under "training" that give you a sense of how far the mics could be from the talkers in a given space. Once you have this number in mind, the type of microphone needed becomes apparent (This room is dead quiet with low reverb = button mics in the ceiling are OK/This room is a tin can in a wind tunnel = maybe I should talk to my client about goosenecks...) Usually a well built room has around 3.5 feet before you get into any big performance issues. That means people sitting (heads 4 feet off the floor) the ceiling mics should be no more than 7 to 7.5 feet "up" (i.e. hanging mics if the ceiling is higher than that.)

Thanks,
RT.