1983 was a banner year for companies that would change the world through innovation and ingenuity.
- McDonald’s introduced the Chicken McNugget in restaurants nationwide.
- The Advanced Research Projects Agency Network (ARPANET) switched its networking technology to TCP/IP, arguably marking the moment that the modern “Internet” came into being.
- Apple released the Apple IIe personal computer and was produced until late 1993, making it one of the longest-lived personal computers ever made.
- Microsoft Word was first introduced and 30 years later, it is one of the most widely used pieces of software of all time.
- The soft bifocal contact lens was also released to the market and forever changed how people see the world.
1983 was also the year that ClearOne started to become a global company that would design, develop and sell conferencing, collaboration, streaming and digital signage solutions for audio and visual communications. In the past 30 years we have achieved the following:
- The industry’s first product to use Distributed Audio Echo Cancellation™ in an audio conferencing system.
- The industry’s first conference phone to provide wireless conferencing.
- The industry’s first fully-expandable conference phone that daisy-chains multiple phone units.
- The industry’s first product to bridge the wide price/performance gap that existed between plug-and-play tabletop conferencing phones and professionally-installed audio conferencing systems.
- Market leader for installed audio—Nearly 50% global market share